On April 22, 2023, the Polish NGO “Friends of the Ina and Gowienica Rivers” initiated a successful action to collect trash on the banks of the Ina River. This was the second time that a trash collection action was held on the riverbanks, which was coordinated and carried out by the Rewilding Oder Delta team. Notably, this year’s riverbank cleaning was scheduled to coincide with a significant event: Earth Day 2023. On this date, public actions are held worldwide to draw attention to the state of the environment and our landscapes.
The action started at 10 a.m. at the designated bivouac site on Spacerowa Street in the town of Goleniów. We equipped more than one hundred dedicated volunteers with trash bags, gloves, and trash pickers. The expedition began along the banks of the Ina where our helpers found a lot of trash and removed heaps of waste of all kinds including many plastic bottles, broken domestic appliances, shattered glass and textiles.
– “The action showed that some spots on the river require a lot of work and equipment, but we managed to remove a significant amount of trash and restore some of the river’s natural beauty,”, explains Magdalena Urlich, the campaign coordinator. “We are very pleased with the impressive turnout of over a hundred residents who actively participated which demonstrates the increasing ecological consciousness within the community. Additionally, we greatly appreciate the partnerships and willingness to collaborate in active nature conservation efforts.“
After the collection action, the helpers gathered around a campfire. The local scout group organized engaging games for children, while the Goleniów Cultural Center conducted a workshop on crafting plush animals that are emblematic of the Oder Delta.
The time spent together went by quickly, and the action was a big success. We are looking forward to further joint events as such occasions not only benefit our community but also contribute to the well-being of the environment.
The organizers, Rewilding Oder Delta and the association “Friends of the Ina and Gowienica Rivers,” extend their heartfelt gratitude to everyone for their enthusiastic involvement. We hope to meet again soon at another event!
The event was made possible thanks to the generous support of local organizations and institutions. We would like to express our gratitude once again to all those involved in the planning and promotion:
– The Goleniów Cultural Centre – for providing trash bags, lending a trailer, printing and distributing the posters and hosting workshops for children.
– Przedsiębiorstwo Gospodarki Komunalnej w Goleniowie – for providing bags, setting up containers and collecting the trash after the clean-up;
– The Scout Group ZHP Goleniów – for the largest and most heavily involved group of children, teenagers, and adults in the action;
– Stowarzyszenie Lider Powiatu Goleniowskiego – for promoting environmental education in the region and active participation with a group of children and parents.